Friday, April 20, 2012

"Refuse to waste energy in worrying and you will have strength to spare."
                                                                               ~Anonymous

.....my what a fitting quote right now.

 I was working at a great hospital years ago in the Short Procedure Unit. Many people came through that area daily, some with little worry, coming in for a minor procedure but many others not so. A major surgery scheduled, some waiting for answers that will only be determined after surgery. I  remember the concern and uncertainty on the faces of these people, the worry and fear of what is to come. I would calmly reassure them of what to expect, hold their hand, answer their questions to the best of my knowledge.

But one of the things I remember so vividly was a huge poster hanging on the wall of the unit. On it was a very large picture of a rocking chair, an old wood rocking  chair and next to it were the words, " Worrying is like a rocking chair, you just keep rocking and rocking but not getting anywhere"....I wish I knew who said that quote. I think of that quote often and how fitting it was for that area where I worked at the time. All these many people worrying about their surgeries, the outcomes,  their recovery times , etc.

I only hoped that that quote and the reassurance that I tried to bestow upon them brought them some reprieve from their worrying.  I always reminded them to look at that poster. I wish I had a copy of that poster today......

No comments:

Post a Comment