Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Well my son decided last night that he did not want to play soccer anymore. What, I thought?  He has been playing soccer since the tender young age of 4 and he is now 13. That is 9 years of playing soccer. That has been a ritual around here come fall and spring. Sitting on the sidelines cheering him on. Watching him score goals and block kicks. I always so enjoyed watching him play.

But he is on to better things I suppose. He wants to concentrate on playing basketball year round. I love to watch him play basketball as well.  After all he is 6'2 already! Basketball I think suits him well and he loves it! I guess I'm just realizing that he is old enough to make his own choices so to speak.  He wants to concentrate on one sport which I think is very profound of him. 

I guess my reasoning for being disappointed is not that he is giving up soccer as a sport but that I guess I'm seeing a chapter of his childhood closing. A chapter that we have been following for 9 years! That's a long time. We have made many friends over these  years playing soccer. Friends that I'm sure we will still see at times.  I will hold on to those fond memories of cheering our children on. He has been with the same friends on his team for so long. I know he will miss them too.  Now we will be following his basketball which is exciting and new. I look back when he was just a wee 4 year old chasing that ball down the field and it just brings back many memories, fun, wonderful memories.

I know there will be memories to make now and more to come but I see my young one growing up so fast. People say enjoy them when they are young as they do grow so fast. My, how true that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment